Monday, January 6, 2014

Welcome Banks!

I have been terrible about blogging, but I really want to do better so that I have Banks' milestones documented.  I know that one day, when life slows down a bit, I will appreciate having this to look back on!
So, without further ado, let's meet the newest member of the Griffith family: Banks Blaxton Griffith.
Banks was born on Wednesday, December 18th 2013 at 4:20 in the afternoon.  He weighed 7 pounds, 4 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long.  He was born with lots of dark brown hair, dark blue eyes, and a darker complexion than I've ever had in my entire life.
Due to my small frame, the size the doctors predicted Banks to be, and the way he was positioned, I had a scheduled c-section on the 18th.  I had been experiencing lots and lots of pain for several weeks prior to that day, and the doctors finally did an ultrasound, only to discover that his head would not fit through the birth canal.  Basically, he had been trying to drop for quite some time, but could not fit and was not reaching my cervix to begin the dilation process.  Quite painful, to say the least!  I was a bit nervous about the c-section (I had never even had an IV before, let alone surgery), but was happy to finally have an end in sight.
I didn't have to be at the hospital until 2:00 that afternoon, so that morning I tried to keep myself busy by doing last minute chores around the house, triple-checking my hospital bag, etc.  I couldn't eat or drink anything at all that day, which was extremely hard for me, even with my nerves.  My parents arrived in Memphis around lunchtime, so I went and watched them and Alex eat lunch (at one of my favorite lunch spots, of course!) before we finally headed to the hospital.
We arrived just before 2:00, got admitted, and were so excited because we had been told that my c-section would begin around 3:00.  After getting to the "preparation room", we were told that my surgery had gotten pushed back to 4:00.  Great.  Another hour for nerves to build up.  Another hour of no food or drink.  Another hour before I could meet my sweet boy.  However, time really did fly by with all of the nurses coming in and out of my room, giving me fluids, starting my IV (which turned out to be the worst part of my c-section experience), pumping me with anti-nausea meds, etc.  Finally, it was go-time, and I don't think I've ever been more scared in my entire life.
I wasn't scared about the actual c-section.  I wasn't nervous about becoming a parent.  I was scared because the anesthesiologist completely freaked me out while going through the list of things that I will experience, things that could go wrong, things I may or may not feel during the procedure, etc.  Like I mentioned above, I had never had any type of surgery before and I panicked while getting the little IV in my hand, and now I was being told that due to being so short, that I would probably be numb all the way up to my neck?  That I could get a bad pain shooting up my shoulder?  That I may or may not start throwing up during the surgery?  That I would be completely strapped down to the table and would not be able to move at all?  Great! Let's do this!
I told all of my family goodbye, and got wheeled into the operating room.  I, very shakily, sat on the edge of the bed and got my epidural (which turned out to be a breeze for me).  They strapped me in, got me ready, and finally allowed Alex to come into the room.  That made me happy.  Except that he was smiling, and just about the time I saw him, a huge wave a nausea hit me like a ton of bricks and all I could say to him was "why are you smiling right now?".  He knew something was wrong with me, and I told him I was about to be sick.  I did, and they immediately gave me more anti-nausea meds and I felt so much better.  From then on, everything went as planned.
It was so quick, so simple, so perfect.  Alex was able to video Banks being pulled out, which I am so thankful for since my view was completely blocked by a huge sheet.  I have watched that video countless times since he was born.  While the nurses got him all cleaned up, the doctors finished stitching me up.  I was getting super antsy (back to typical impatient Kristen by this point) because the only thing I wanted was to see what my son looked like!  Alex was over watching him get bathed and weighed, and no one ever brought him over my way!
Finally, the moment arrived when Alex brought him over for me to see.  Such a special moment.  One that I wish we could have had documented (but I was still strapped in and being stitched up).  He was perfect.  Absolutely perfect.
After an hour in the recovery room with just Alex, Banks, and I, we were finally taken to the room I lived in for the next three days and were reunited with all of our family.  It was such an awesome experience watching our family members take turns holding Banks, making memories that I will never ever forget.
It was such a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment